turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Benny-88

What is the current amount over my social security benefits that I can be taxed on? I am 69 (70 at the end of this year and applied for benefits at age 67).

my only income, in 2017, is social security...about $2k/month.  do I need to file income tax this year? how much rental income can I receive, in 2018, before any income tax is assessed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What is the current amount over my social security benefits that I can be taxed on? I am 69 (70 at the end of this year and applied for benefits at age 67).

Up to 85% of your social security can be taxable depending on your complete situation.  If your ONLY income is $24,000 a year with social security and you are NOT married filing separate then it generally would not be taxed.  

However, you mention rental income, if you have rental income this could change everything. If you are single and had less than $13,000 rental and all other income while receiving $24,000 in SS benefits, then you would not be taxed on your Social Security.  Below are the base amounts for other filing statuses. 

"To find out whether any of your benefits may be taxable, compare the base amount for your filing status with the total of:

• One-half of your benefits; plus
  • All of your other income, including tax-exempt interest.

The base amount for your filing status is:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Up to 85% of your social security can be taxable depending on your complete situation.  If your ONLY income is $24,000 a year with social security and you are NOT married filing separate then it generally would not be taxed.  

However, you mention rental income, if you have rental income this could change everything. If you are single and had less than $13,000 rental and all other income while receiving $24,000 in SS benefits, then you would not be taxed on your Social Security.  Below are the base amounts for other filing statuses. 

"To find out whether any of your benefits may be taxable, compare the base amount for your filing status with the total of:

• One-half of your benefits; plus
  • All of your other income, including tax-exempt interest.

The base amount for your filing status is:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies