Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bri14nn4

What do I do if I think TurboTax may have made a mistake in calculating my taxable income?

TurboTax has taken my aggregate "scholarship" information from 1098-T (box 5) and added that as taxable income.  However, these funds were used solely for tuition -- not room and board.  According to https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/college-and-education/taxes-for-grads-do-scholarships-count-as-... and other online threads, these scholarship funds generally do not count as taxable income.  How do I verify whether TurboTax is calculating this correctly?  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

What do I do if I think TurboTax may have made a mistake in calculating my taxable income?

If you are a dependent, the person claiming you enters the 1098-T on their TurboTax program and if you, the student needs to claim income, you claim only that income. 

If you are claimed as a dependent. you need to touch base with the person that claimed you.

If you are not a dependent, you enter the 1098-T.

bri14nn4

Thank you for the response.  I am not a dependent, and I did indeed input the 1098-T.  However, the TurboTax program has pulled the scholarship information from the 1098-T and added it to my taxable income-- resulting in a very hefty tax bill.  (I've never used these funds for living expenses -- they were used strictly for tuition.)  This doesn't seem right, nor does it align with other posts that I've read on this site, and so I am seeking clarification.
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I see. Yes, you are right, this does not seem right. Since my answer was not helpful to you, I suggest you post a new question.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies