turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I do if I still haven't received my W-2 from a previous employer? I didn't have a change of address and he told me I had to pay him $20 for a new one?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

What do I do if I still haven't received my W-2 from a previous employer? I didn't have a change of address and he told me I had to pay him $20 for a new one?

The first thing you can do is report him to IRS. He is obligated to provide you with one.

1. Contact the IRS If you do not receive your W-2 by February 14th, contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When you call, you must provide your name, address, city and state, including zip code, Social Security number, phone number and have the following information:
  • Employer’s name, address, city and state, including zip code and phone number
  • Dates of employment
  • An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and when you worked for that employer during 2019 The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible.

In the event you don't receive one, you can file a substitute W-2 using your last pay stub.  This is reported on Form 4852. TurboTax will walk you through any descriptions that need to be typed and advise you to send the form to the Social Security Administration.

Options:

• They're not exact copies, but they contain everything on your W-2 except the state and local information.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

The first thing you can do is report him to IRS. He is obligated to provide you with one.

1. Contact the IRS If you do not receive your W-2 by February 14th, contact the IRS for assistance at 800-829-1040. When you call, you must provide your name, address, city and state, including zip code, Social Security number, phone number and have the following information:
  • Employer’s name, address, city and state, including zip code and phone number
  • Dates of employment
  • An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and when you worked for that employer during 2019 The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible.

In the event you don't receive one, you can file a substitute W-2 using your last pay stub.  This is reported on Form 4852. TurboTax will walk you through any descriptions that need to be typed and advise you to send the form to the Social Security Administration.

Options:

• They're not exact copies, but they contain everything on your W-2 except the state and local information.

pay the 20 bucks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies