What do I do if I receive a 1099-R for a distribution that I did not request nor receive and unable to contact the filer?

Vanguard sent me a 1099-R for an $11,000 distribution that I know nothing about.  Phone calls to them go to an answering machine and calls are not returned.  This unknown distribution adds $2,500 to my tax bill that I have to pay.  What can I do?

If you did not have an account with this company and did not receive the funds from this distribution, you do not have to file the 1099-R, but I highly recommend you contact the Internal Revenue Service by phone and via mail with a copy of the tax form and a letter explaining the issue.  

If you do have an account and believe this was sent in error, it is important to try to reach them because obviously your account has been reduced by $11,000 and reported to the IRS.

Do you have a Vanguard account?  Did you check the account balance - is the money missing from the account?
You better get hold of Vanguard to find out where the money is.