turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joekunda

We migrated as permanent residents on 09 Oct 2017 to USA. Our income is of my Indian Army pension and dividends. Do we need to file return even if income is below taxable

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We migrated as permanent residents on 09 Oct 2017 to USA. Our income is of my Indian Army pension and dividends. Do we need to file return even if income is below taxable

No. Legal resident aliens are taxed just as US citizens. Therefore, if you do not meet the income requirements to file, you do not need to complete a US tax return.

For 2017, the income threshold for a married couple is $20,800-$23,300, depending on your ages. 

If you would like more information for filing as a legal resident, follow this link: Taxation of Resident Aliens

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No. Legal resident aliens are taxed just as US citizens. Therefore, if you do not meet the income requirements to file, you do not need to complete a US tax return.

For 2017, the income threshold for a married couple is $20,800-$23,300, depending on your ages. 

If you would like more information for filing as a legal resident, follow this link: Taxation of Resident Aliens

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies