turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

czhao23

We made a contribution of $2000 each (my wife and I) to our Roth IRA for 2016. But the Turbo Tax shows that IRA contribution are not qualified for the tax deduction.

Is the Roth IRA contribution tax-deductable?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

We made a contribution of $2000 each (my wife and I) to our Roth IRA for 2016. But the Turbo Tax shows that IRA contribution are not qualified for the tax deduction.

Roth IRA contributions are never deductible.  The benefit of a Roth IRA is that earnings inside the Roth IRA are eventually tax-free growth.  (Which, for most people, is a greater benefit than a short term benefit of a tax deduction only to have all amounts distributed later be subject to tax.)

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Roth IRA contributions are never deductible.  The benefit of a Roth IRA is that earnings inside the Roth IRA are eventually tax-free growth.  (Which, for most people, is a greater benefit than a short term benefit of a tax deduction only to have all amounts distributed later be subject to tax.)

ROTH IRA or 401k is never deductible.  Only contributions to a Traditional IRA can be deducted and even then you have to qualify for the deduction.  And I want to check that you said  "our Roth IRA..."    Hope you meant separate IRA accounts.   You can not have a joint IRA.  You each need your own IRA account.
dmertz
Level 15

Good point.  The contribution is the contribution of the individual to whose account the contribution is made.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies