turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MJS
Returning Member

Who does Turbotax not recognize my 457 catch up contribution of $37,000 for those within 3 years of retirement? The recent update did not address this situation.

Because of my age and that I am within 3 years of retirement, I can contribute up to $37,000 in a catch up provision within three years of retirement.  Is there any fix in the works for this?

"There’s also a separate catch-up contribution that benefits soon-to-be retirees, if permitted by the 457 plan. If you’re within three years of the plan’s “normal retirement age,” you can save double the annual limit for three years as long as you haven’t maxed out your contributions in the past. If you’re eligible, that brings your maximum contribution level to $37,000 for 2018—or up to $111,000 over three years."

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Who does Turbotax not recognize my 457 catch up contribution of $37,000 for those within 3 years of retirement? The recent update did not address this situation.

We have the same situation! I spent over an hour on the phone with Turbo Tax on Friday explaining that their "fix" on 4-4-19 only covered the regular over-50 catch-up provision (which is $6K) but not the second catch-up option for certain government plans when the employee is in their last three years, which allows 2x the annual amount ($37K in 2018).

The person I spoke with on the phone understood what I was saying and she looked up the IRS Publication that explains it but when she was tried to tell her supervisor, that person insisted that the problem was already fixed and no more updates would be forthcoming.

I received an email from Turbo Tax this morning telling me that the issue was on my end and was not a problem with their program so I will now have to print and file a paper return. I did respond to their email with a link to the IRS page explaining this provision and I see that several people have posted the same question in the past 24 hours so maybe someone will take a second look.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies