We could not e-file your return for the following reason: Duplicate Social Security Number: A tax return with the same Social Security number has already been submitted - in other words, it appears yo

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We could not e-file your return for the following reason: Duplicate Social Security Number: A tax return with the same Social Security number has already been submitted - in other words, it appears yo

This was only for my state tax my federal was approved
6 Replies
Level 7

Have you contacted your state tax authorities? It's still entirely possible that an identity thief filed a bogus return before you; the thief did NOT have to use TurboTax (though they could have).

No not yet find it odd that my federal tax went through but not my state
Level 7

Though many fraudsters find Federal returns more attractive, some of them are now defrauding states with bogus state-only returns to avoid the Congressionally-mandated delay in EITC/ACTC refunds. (For that reason, TurboTax will no longer e-file state returns before Federal returns even if your state accepts them separately.)
Level 15

what state are you in ?

California
Level 15

you'll have to file a paper return via US Mail.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings