turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

siidman

Using turbotax form 5329 how do I enter exception number two on question 2. My spouse is a retired educator receiving a pension and retired in 2016 at age 52.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Using turbotax form 5329 how do I enter exception number two on question 2. My spouse is a retired educator receiving a pension and retired in 2016 at age 52.

Exception 02 is the exception for distributions that constitute a series of substantially equal periodic payments.  On the page where TurboTax lists the possible exceptions, this is the one where you would enter the taxable amount of the distribution.

It's odd that the payer did not use code 2 in box 7 of the Form 1099-R since they should know that an annuity produces a series of substantially equal periodic payments that would automatically qualify for this exception.  With code 2 in box 7, no Form 5329 is needed.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

Exception 02 is the exception for distributions that constitute a series of substantially equal periodic payments.  On the page where TurboTax lists the possible exceptions, this is the one where you would enter the taxable amount of the distribution.

It's odd that the payer did not use code 2 in box 7 of the Form 1099-R since they should know that an annuity produces a series of substantially equal periodic payments that would automatically qualify for this exception.  With code 2 in box 7, no Form 5329 is needed.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies