Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zorian78

Do I pay taxes on social security income if I start collecting after reaching full retirement age and continue to work?

The refund I appeared to be getting got wiped out (and now I owe money) as soon as I entered my social security income. I did not work from Jan. 1, 2019 till mid June. Went back to work several months after I got to full retirement age and qualified to receive Social Security checks. I thought I could earn money and not be penalized after I got to full retirement age!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Do I pay taxes on social security income if I start collecting after reaching full retirement age and continue to work?

Unfortunately, the fact that you've reached full retirement age doesn't have an impact on whether your Social Security is taxable or not.  Your Social Security can be taxed on your federal return, no matter what your age.

Whether or not it's taxable -- and how much is taxable -- really depends on how much other income that you received during the year.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ "Is my Social Security income taxable?" below for more information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3299920

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, the fact that you've reached full retirement age doesn't have an impact on whether your Social Security is taxable or not.  Your Social Security can be taxed on your federal return, no matter what your age.

Whether or not it's taxable -- and how much is taxable -- really depends on how much other income that you received during the year.

Please see the TurboTax FAQ "Is my Social Security income taxable?" below for more information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3299920

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies