turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Early withdrawal from 401k to pay for mothers funeral can i put that down under the situations that may lower the penalty cost.

My mother passed away and i didnt have enough money to bury her so I cashed out my 401k early. i paid federal and state tax when i cashed out but was wondering if that counts as death under the exemptions.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Early withdrawal from 401k to pay for mothers funeral can i put that down under the situations that may lower the penalty cost.

Unfortunately, funeral expenses are not one of the exceptions to the early withdrawal penalty.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Unfortunately, funeral expenses are not one of the exceptions to the early withdrawal penalty.

dar90256

Hardship withdrawals are allowed to: Purchase or repair a primary home; Pay education tuition, room and board, and fees for the next 12 months for you, your spouse, children, and other dependents; Prevent eviction or foreclosure on your primary residence; Address severe financial hardship; Pay for unreimbursed medical expenses for you, your spouse, children and other dependents; Pay for funeral expenses for immediate family members—parents, spouse, children, and other dependents. - See more at: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.finra.org/investors/401k-hardship-withdrawals%e2%80%94understand-tax-bite-and-long-term-c...>

Those are for being able to take a withdrawal from the 401k.  But keep reading down.  There are only a couple exceptions to the 10% early withdrawal penalty on your tax return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies