Solved: TurboTx is handling my monthly retirement payments as an IRA. How do I say it is a pension plan.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TurboTx is handling my monthly retirement payments as an IRA. How do I say it is a pension plan.

I get a monthly pension from the company I retired from and Turbotax is treating it as an IRA.  It is not an IRA, how do I tell Turbotax it is a pension?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 13

TurboTx is handling my monthly retirement payments as an IRA. How do I say it is a pension plan.

On the form 1099-R, between boxes 7 and 8, there is a small checkbox labeled "IRA/ SEP/ SIMPLE". It should be not checked.

Three things:
1. Checking this box will tell TurboTax that your retirement plan is an IRA, so you don't want it checked.

2. Did you import the 1099-R? If so, the import may have gotten confused. Write down the information on the 1099-R, delete the 1099-R, and then re-enter it manually and see if that fixes the problem.

3. If your 1099-R does have the box checked, contact the retirement plan administrator and tell them to correct it, because there are all sorts of consequences - especially at the state level - in confusing the two.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 13

On the form 1099-R, between boxes 7 and 8, there is a small checkbox labeled "IRA/ SEP/ SIMPLE". It should be not checked.

Three things:
1. Checking this box will tell TurboTax that your retirement plan is an IRA, so you don't want it checked.

2. Did you import the 1099-R? If so, the import may have gotten confused. Write down the information on the 1099-R, delete the 1099-R, and then re-enter it manually and see if that fixes the problem.

3. If your 1099-R does have the box checked, contact the retirement plan administrator and tell them to correct it, because there are all sorts of consequences - especially at the state level - in confusing the two.

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings