Turbotax says I exceded the "maximum contribution ...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turbotax says I exceded the "maximum contribution of $6,000" for my Roth IRA. However, the limit for military is $19,000. How do I get Turbotax to reflect that?

I also thought the contributions were reflected in the W2.  Am I supposed to leave the contributions blank if it already says in the W2?
2 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

Turbotax says I exceded the "maximum contribution of $6,000" for my Roth IRA. However, the limit for military is $19,000. How do I get Turbotax to reflect that?

Yes, you contributed to a ROTH 401k if it was through your paycheck so remove the contribution for the IRA in TurboTax Deductions & Credits section.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15

It's actually likely that it's the designated Roth account in the federal TSP rather than in a 401(k), but the answer is the same.  Neither a 401(k) nor the federal TSP is an IRA.  Enter amounts shown in box 12 of your W-2 only in box 12 of TurboTax's W-2 form, nowhere else in TurboTax.  Under Deductions & Credits, go back and remove the Roth IRA contribution that you did not actually make.

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings