turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rekammer1

TurboTax is saying that I need to upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe because we paid excess social security tax but there is no entry on line 11, schedule 3 of my form 1040?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
DianeC958
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is saying that I need to upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe because we paid excess social security tax but there is no entry on line 11, schedule 3 of my form 1040?

You can check to see if you have excess Social Security tax that would be on that form by looking at your W-2s.  The amount of Social Security tax you pay for 2019 is on the first $132,900 of wages.  The amount of Social Security tax for that amount is $8239.80.  

This tax is figured on each individual.  If you are Married Filing Joint and neither of you earned more than $132,900, check to make sure that the W-2s show accurately who they belong to.

Once you have looked at this information, if there is excess Social Security tax then you need to upgrade to have it reflect correctly on your tax return.

@rekammer1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cdg1

I get the same thing but my ss taxes is 6.200137% instead of the required 6.2% of my ss wages. Even if I change it to exactly 6.2% I still have the upgrade request. No sure I want to trust TT for calculations on my money!

Try leaving off the cents in W2 box 4.  That's been working for other users.  Maybe even reduce box 4 by $1.

Get a calculator and check each W2 box 3&4.  Multiply box 3 x .062 and it should be box 4.  The max for all box 4 combined (but only for each person) is $8,239,80.

Belle215
Returning Member

@DianeC958,

I am receiving the same message that I need to update to Deluxe to proceed with my filing. I'm filing as MFJ and verified that my w-2 and spouses w-2 are documented correctly (box 4 is less than 6.2% of box 3). Still not sure what's causing this message. Any tips on troubleshooting this further?

Thank you.

What are the amounts in box 3&4 in each W2?  Are all the box 4 added together more than $8,239.80? Make sure each W2 is assigned to the right person.  Did you try deleting the W2s and re enter them? 

Belle215
Returning Member

Hi @VolvoGirl ,

In TurboTax, I rounded down a dollar (removing the cents as recommended by other users)

1st W-2,

Box 3: 56,879.67, Box 4: 3,526.00

2nd W-2,

Box 3: 94006.13, Box 4: 5828.00

I thought the 8239.80 Social Security tax withheld applied to each individual (not the total). Is this incorrect?

I verified the W-2s were assigned to the right individuals and manually deleted and entered each W-2 twice.

Thank you.

Right it is per person.  But it's common for users to enter each W2 under the same person so it looks like one spouse went over.  Which both of yours together would do.

Belle215
Returning Member

@VolvoGirl ,

Thank you for clarifying. I checked each W-2 (opening each entry) to verify the correct person is selected in each, and the overview page displays my spouse and my W-2's with our respective names correctly. 

I wish there were some other validation message that can clarify what might be causing the validation message.

Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies