turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

themergs

TurboTax is asking for Form 1099-NEC information upon review of my return, but I do not have a 1099-NEC. I already removed it from last year's return. I can't file now.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

TurboTax is asking for Form 1099-NEC information upon review of my return, but I do not have a 1099-NEC. I already removed it from last year's return. I can't file now.

Lets check to make sure.  Start by going to the 1099-NEC screens.

After you have logged in and are in your return:

• Go to Search at the top of the screen.
  • then enter Form 1099-NEC in the search box. 
  • You will see a Jump To function that will take you to the 1099-NEC input screens. 
  • There you will see any 1099-NEC in your account, delete any that may appear.
  • Delete by clicking the trash can next to the 1099-NEC.  If you see a trash can and no 1099-NEC, click the trash can.

Next review your self-employed income section to make sure you did not indicate you received a 1099-NEC.

Finally, you make need to log out of TurboTax and clear your browser cache and cookies then logging back in.

Click Here for instructions on clearing your cache and cookies

themergs

Thank you!!

I couldn't find where it was pulling these 1099-NEC's from, but using the search and jump to worked, and then I was able to remove them.

Thanks for the prompt response!

dmanp3

The search feature isn't working for me. It keeps sending me to a phone number when I click search. I'm have the same problem mentioned here. Is there another way?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

We can check what forms are in your tax return, and if necessary delete the appropriate one.

There are two ways to clear entries from your return.  I think you've already tried the first.

1. The first thing to try is to go into the section that has the form  (Less Common Income)
  2. select the entry that you want to clear. 
  3. On the right hand side there is a trash can. 
  4. Select the trash can and confirm you want to delete that form.

To Delete a form:

1. On the menu bar on the left that shows.
    1. My Info
    2. Federal
    3. State
    4. Review
    5. File
  2. Select Tax Tools
  3. On the drop down select Tools
  4. On the Pop-Up menu select Delete a Form
  5. This will give you all of the forms in your return
  6. Scroll down to the form you want to delete
  7. Select the Form (1099-NEC)
  8. Click on Delete.

Always use extreme caution when deleting from your tax return.  There could be unintended consequences.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, the advice from JohnB... fixed my problem

I had this same thing and tried the steps and could not get it removed. What would happen if just add a note on line stating error and software wont delete from filing although 1099 is not applicable..after a few days little tired of it

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

If you had self-employment income from a 1099-MISC in the prior year, it would have been carried over to this year's return as a 1099-NEC. For 2020, nonemployee compensation on the prior year Form 1099-MISC is now reported on Form 1099-NEC. You can delete this from your return and must as well delete your Schedule C. 

To delete, please follow the instructions below:

1. Open your return.
  2. Search for 1099-NEC with the magnifying glass tool at the top of the page.
  3. Click on the Jump to 1099-NEC link at the top of the search results. 
  4. Delete any 1099-NEC's entries with the trash can icon. 
  5. Then, search for Schedule C with the magnifying glass tool on the top of the page.
  6. Select the Jump to Schedule C link in the search results.
  7. Select No to the question Did you have any self-employment income or expenses? 
  8. Click on Tools.
  9. Click on Delete a Form
  10. Scroll down to your forms and look for forms you need to remove (Schedule C/Schedule SE) and click Delete

@Craziecatladie

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DavidWeil

I have my SS and 1099NEC to file. I've always filed jointly. But  my spouse has no income other than SS, So how can I file as a single and file just my SS and 1099?

You can not file as single if you were legally married on December 31, 2020.

As a married person, you could file as head of household if you provide the main home for a qualifying child and your spouse did not live with you for the last six months of 2020.  The qualifying child would have to be your dependent.

While you could file as Married Filing Separately, there are usually tax advantages to filing jointly.  If you file separately, see what your total refund or amount owed comes to.  Then see if it is more beneficial to file jointly.  You can use either Married Filing Separately or Married Filing Jointly. 

If you spouse's only income is social security, then they will not need to file a tax return if you file as Married Filing Separately or if you qualify to file as Head of Household.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies