turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dianemge2

On the deduction for credit if you have contributed to a retirement plan - I thought I would multiply the amount of $2000 x .5 which would equal $1,000. Is this incorrect

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

On the deduction for credit if you have contributed to a retirement plan - I thought I would multiply the amount of $2000 x .5 which would equal $1,000. Is this incorrect

TurboTax automatically calculates the correct amount of Retirement Savings Contributions Credit based on your (presumably correct) inputs.  If you made at least $2,000 of retirement contributions (after subtracting any retirement-account distributions you made after 2013) and your AGI is low enough to place you in the 50% credit range, you would receive a $1,000 credit.  At higher levels of AGI the credit reduces to 20%, then 10%, and finally disappears altogether.

See IRS Pub 590-A regarding this credit:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590a/ch03.html

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

TurboTax automatically calculates the correct amount of Retirement Savings Contributions Credit based on your (presumably correct) inputs.  If you made at least $2,000 of retirement contributions (after subtracting any retirement-account distributions you made after 2013) and your AGI is low enough to place you in the 50% credit range, you would receive a $1,000 credit.  At higher levels of AGI the credit reduces to 20%, then 10%, and finally disappears altogether.

See IRS Pub 590-A regarding this credit:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p590a/ch03.html

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies