TT tax on line Form 1099-r Box wants distrib code ...

TT tax on line Form 1099-r Box wants distrib code from list but its not on list and tt won't let me proceed What to do?I

Box 7 distrib code is 7-nondisability which is not on drop-down box. What to do?

That is probably a CSA 1099-R from OPM.

OPM violates the 1099-R rules by writing "helpful" information in the box rather than just the value or code like they are supposed to. OPM has done that for years and it causes more confusion than help. They put UNKNOWN in box 2a when it should be blank, and put "7 NONDISABILITY" in box 7 when is should only be "7", "1" or "2".

The taxable amount in box 2a is usually the box 1 amount unless you have after-tax contributions in the retirement plan and use the simplified method. If this is NOT the first year of receiving payments, then you should use the same method that was used last year - either the box 1 amount of the simplified method, using the carry forward simplified information from last year.

If box 2a is blank or UNKNOWN then there should be amount in box 9b to use with the simplified method. If no amount in 9b then contact OPM to find the account "basis".

Enter a 1099-R here:

Federal Taxes,
Wages & Income
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement Plans & Social Security,
IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).

OR Use the "Tools" menu (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "1099-R" which will take you to the same place.

Be sure to choose which spouse the 1099-R is for if this is a joint tax return.

Be sure to pick the correct 1099-R type: Standard 1099-R, CSA-1099-R, CSF-1099-R, RRB-1099-R.

[NOTE: When you get to the "Your 1099-R Entries" screen where you can add another 1099-R, use "continue" to keep going as there are additional interview questions after that screen in most cases. You can always return as shown above.]

I suggest that you post the code 7 in box 7. A code 7 – Normal distribution is very common unless there is something unusual..

The code(s) in Box 7 of your 1099-R helps identify the type of distribution you received. We use these codes and your answers to some interview questions to determine if your distribution is taxable or subject to an early withdrawal penalty. 

The description you had for code 7 above (Nondisability) is not a standard code.  I suggest you contact you broker or plan administrator for that specific question.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, tt online version  just will not allow me to proceed. I am unable to proceed.  I'm thinking I may have to abandon tt on line for doing my 2019 (2020) return.  

@anacostxx1 wrote:

Did you read my post. 

Enter the "7" only in box 7.  If this is a CSA 1099-R be sure that you choose the CSA 1099-R type.

If you did not then delete the 1099-R and re-enter.

1099-R CSA type.jpg

1099R box 7 code 7 for non disability means it is a normal distribution.  Pick 7

1099R box 7.jpg