Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT gives me an error when I enter both code 4 and code 7 that are listed in Box 7 of a 1099-R Form for IRA Distributions for myself and my wife who died 6/2016. Do what?

I received a 1099-R for IRA Distributions on which there were 2 breakouts and a Total Gross Distribution. The first Distribution had a Code 4 (Death) in Box 7. The second Distribution had a Code 7 (Normal Distribution) in Box 7. I entered the Total Gross Distribution and listed Code 4 in Box 7a and Code 7 in Box 7b. When I completed my tax return and checked for errors, Turbo Tax tells me that the Code 7 in Box 7b is not appropriate based on the other Code 4 listed in Box 7a.

Which code should I use? I also received a separate 1099-R on my deceased wife for a much smaller amount.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

TT gives me an error when I enter both code 4 and code 7 that are listed in Box 7 of a 1099-R Form for IRA Distributions for myself and my wife who died 6/2016. Do what?

These are two separate Forms 1099-R, one with code 4 and the other with code 7, which need to be entered as separate Forms 1099-R.  The code 4 Form 1099-R is almost certainly for a distribution from your wife's IRA to you as beneficiary.  Since it's on the same mailing from the payer, the code 7 Form 1099-R is probably a distribution made to you from the same account paid to you after the account was retitled in your name.  If it was instead a distribution made to your wife before she died, it probably would have been reported on a Form 1099-R in a separate mailing.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

These are two separate Forms 1099-R, one with code 4 and the other with code 7, which need to be entered as separate Forms 1099-R.  The code 4 Form 1099-R is almost certainly for a distribution from your wife's IRA to you as beneficiary.  Since it's on the same mailing from the payer, the code 7 Form 1099-R is probably a distribution made to you from the same account paid to you after the account was retitled in your name.  If it was instead a distribution made to your wife before she died, it probably would have been reported on a Form 1099-R in a separate mailing.

Thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies