TT gives me an error when I enter both code 4 and code 7 that are listed in Box 7 of a 1099-R Form for IRA Distributions for myself and my wife who died 6/2016. Do what?

I received a 1099-R for IRA Distributions on which there were 2 breakouts and a Total Gross Distribution. The first Distribution had a Code 4 (Death) in Box 7. The second Distribution had a Code 7 (Normal Distribution) in Box 7. I entered the Total Gross Distribution and listed Code 4 in Box 7a and Code 7 in Box 7b. When I completed my tax return and checked for errors, Turbo Tax tells me that the Code 7 in Box 7b is not appropriate based on the other Code 4 listed in Box 7a.

Which code should I use? I also received a separate 1099-R on my deceased wife for a much smaller amount.

dmertz

These are two separate Forms 1099-R, one with code 4 and the other with code 7, which need to be entered as separate Forms 1099-R.  The code 4 Form 1099-R is almost certainly for a distribution from your wife's IRA to you as beneficiary.  Since it's on the same mailing from the payer, the code 7 Form 1099-R is probably a distribution made to you from the same account paid to you after the account was retitled in your name.  If it was instead a distribution made to your wife before she died, it probably would have been reported on a Form 1099-R in a separate mailing.

dmertz

Thank you!

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing