turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Tried calling the IRS. No answer on any number or selection. Gov at its finest. I swear I should have stayed working for them. Do nothing all day and get a pension.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Tried calling the IRS. No answer on any number or selection. Gov at its finest. I swear I should have stayed working for them. Do nothing all day and get a pension.

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

View solution in original post

84 Replies

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

Then press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.

Yes!!! You’re amazing!!  Haha!!   These numbers exactly  thanks!!

This worked!  The automated system hung up on me 4 times until I did what you said above.  I got transferred to a different department, but at least I talked to an agent.

I always use this flow. Still can't get through. Ever. It just tells me to call back another day.

Thank you!! I've been sitting on hold for hours over the last few days.  Found this, followed the steps exactly, and got someone on the line in less than 10 minutes.  

jpadma9

Thank you for sharing this post!! 

WKins2
Expert Alumni

Glad the post was able to help you. Remember if you need anymore assistance to post your questions in anew thread. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Does anyone know why IRS isn't taking calls I have been trying for the past 2 days exactly at 7am

@Wbranch86 wrote:

Does anyone know why IRS isn't taking calls I have been trying for the past 2 days exactly at 7am

Did you try calling the IRS using this procedure -

Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area. See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Yes I did the numbers how everyone says too since yesterday still same thing no answer. I just called the tax advocate number and left a voicemail

I’ve been calling for a few hours also. But due to brief technical difficulties they cannot answer my telephone call at this time. 🤨

No it's numbers are working I called 4 numbers including the one on my letter all the numbers state that phone calls are not available at this time I have tried to call for 3 days and its the same 

I've also tried to call for days. Using the pattern to get through and keep getting told to call back another time. I filed 7 weeks ago and am stuck in the your tax return is still being processed. Does anyone know how long this usually takes?

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

The length of time to process a tax return depends on the forms in the tax return, whether if was e-filed or mailed, and whether the IRS needs more information to process the tax return.  If the IRS needs more information, you will receive a letter in the mail with the request.

Because of the COVID-19 situation, the IRS has temporarily suspended phone services until further notice. This suspension doesn’t affect online services, refunds, or stimulus payments. 

For any processes that require you to direct customers to the IRS, please let them know phone services are unavailable at this time but they can visit IRS.gov as it’s fully operational and remains the best source of information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies