Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife wants to transfer an amount of less than $100,000 to my USA account so that i can deposit that amount into my retirement account. What should I consider? Any tax?

Do I need to worry about reporting to the IRS? Are there better lower-priced transfer options recommended?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife wants to transfer an amount of less than $100,000 to my USA account so that i can deposit that amount into my retirement account. What should I consider? Any tax?

Transferring bank funds from one account to another is not a taxable event.  You have noting to report to the IRS.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

What sort of retirement account ??

a 401-k

You cannot just "deposit" money into a 401(k) plan, You must be eligible to do so. Please clarify exactly what is happening.

i want to make contributions to the 401-k

That's fine.  Just realize that the most you can contribute as an employee with an elective deferral annually to an employer provided 401(k) is $18,000 in 2017 and $18,500 in 2018 if under age 50.  If age 50 or older there are catch-up amounts of $6,000 in both 2017 and 2018.
See this IRS website - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/plan-participant-employee/retirement-topics-401k-and-profit-sha...>

Transferring bank funds from one account to another is not a taxable event.  You have noting to report to the IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies