Took money from my pension & rolled over into my 4...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spikeb

Took money from my pension & rolled over into my 401k how do i enter that without showing income?

have  1099 from my pension  that I rolled into my 401k.  Then i pulled money from my 401k.  received a 1099 for that.  now shows i have more income that i received
3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Took money from my pension & rolled over into my 401k how do i enter that without showing income?

What is the code in box 7 of the Form 1099-R reporting the pension-buyout distribution?

SamS1
Expert Alumni

If you did a direct rollover from your pension plan to the 401K, your 1099R should have "G" in box 7.  That code indicates it is a non-taxable rollover to the 401K.  If the coding on the 1099R form from the pension is not a "G", after you enter the 1099R in TurboTax, you will see a series of screens.  When you reach the screen "Did you rollover the gross amount to another retirement account?" enter "Yes"

Here is a link that will help you with your 1099R input

dmertz
Level 15

A distribution reported on a code G Form 1099-R is only non-taxable if there is no nonzero amount shown in box 2a of the form provided by the payer.  A rollover from a pension buyout to a traditional 401(k) account should have a zero in box 2a.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings