turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kmaki23

TT is only asking me if pension buyout rolled over into a Roth but no option for a Trad IRA so it's including the amount in my income. Other answers don't seem to help.

I got a pension buyout and entered it in the 1099-R page. It asks if it rolled over to a Roth but no option for Traditional IRA so it's including the amount in my income.  I've read the other answers but while they talk about the same thing they're not helping me understand how to fix it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

TT is only asking me if pension buyout rolled over into a Roth but no option for a Trad IRA so it's including the amount in my income. Other answers don't seem to help.

To treat it as a rollover to a traditional IRA, TurboTax only needs to know that it was not rolled over to any kind of Roth account.

Yes, the distribution is income, but rolling it over to a traditional IRA makes it nontaxable income.  TurboTax's summary page shows both taxable and nontaxable income.  To see that the amount rolled over is not being included in your taxable income, see that the amount rolled over is excluded from Form 1040 line 16b or Form 1040A line 12b.  You should also see the word ROLLOVER next to this line.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

To treat it as a rollover to a traditional IRA, TurboTax only needs to know that it was not rolled over to any kind of Roth account.

Yes, the distribution is income, but rolling it over to a traditional IRA makes it nontaxable income.  TurboTax's summary page shows both taxable and nontaxable income.  To see that the amount rolled over is not being included in your taxable income, see that the amount rolled over is excluded from Form 1040 line 16b or Form 1040A line 12b.  You should also see the word ROLLOVER next to this line.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies