turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ktao2001

Use the substitute of 1099 R form

I helped my son to file his tax return. My son got the retirement fund distribution check since his retirement account being forced closed after his internship. But, the company did not sent him 1099 R form. I tried to use the substitute of 1099 R in Turbo Tax. When I did the Federal Tax Check, I was kept asked to enter Payer Federal Identifications and State Identifications numbers which I do not have since there is no 1099 R form. Do you know if I can just go ahead to file my son federal tax without correct two errors?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

What type of retirement account?    Contact the issuer of the check or the account trustee to get a copy of the 1099-R.  Perhaps sent to the wrong address.   You need the  1099-R to get the proper data and codes to file.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

If the distribution happened in 2018 then it will be reported on the 2018 return.
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

To reiterate the advice given by macuser_22, you should do everything you can to get the Form 1099-R that reported the distribution.  In addition to the Federal and state ID numbers, it will show a distribution code and taxes that were withheld.  Double check with the company where he worked to find out who the retirement plan administrator is so that you can contact the plan administrator for a copy of the 1099-R.

You cannot electronically file the return with those errors regarding the ID numbers.  You can choose to file the return by mail or you can use the substitute Form 1099-R along with Form 4852 which will give an explanation of your efforts to obtain the Form 1099-R and your determination of the amounts reported on the substitute 1099-R. 

You will enter the information as if it were reported on an actual Form 1099-R, then check the box for substitute 1099-R and TurboTax will take you through completing Form 4852 that will be filed along with the return (printed and attached, or electronically filed).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies