turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

This relates to a 1099Q distribution. Got full scholarship, so it should not be subject to additional 10% penalty. How to enter in TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

This relates to a 1099Q distribution. Got full scholarship, so it should not be subject to additional 10% penalty. How to enter in TurboTax?

Enter both the 1099-Q and the 1098-T in the applicable sections.  If you enter the 1099-Q first, when you enter the 1099-T the boxes to enter "things eligible for payment by a 529 plan but not eligible for other education credits" will be "opened up".  Be sure to enter anything that is eligible for the 529 plan dollars, if any, to reduce the amount of the 1099-Q distribution that is taxed.

When your scholarships are entered (either from the 1098-T, or other ones that are not reported on the 1098-T) TurboTax will take that into account and you won't get the 10% extra penalty on those dollars.

You will, however, get taxed on the earnings portion of any 529 plan distribution that exceeds the qualified education expenses. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the help! So close, but not quite there.

I did not receive any 1098-T, nor did my son. I see on his school's website "No Form 1098-T if a student’s qualified tuition and fees are waived or paid in entirety with scholarships. In such situation, pursuant to IRS regulations, the University is not required to prepare Form 1098-T for the student, nor to report information to the IRS on such student’s tuition and fees." 

So how do I get to a place in TurboTax where I can explain about the scholarships, if he does not have a 1098-T?

I know we have to pay tax on the earnings, but we should not have to pay the 10% penalty.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies