turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Age 58 with inherited IRA. I made qualified charitable contributions sent directly from Vanguard for most of the RMD. no place in turbo tax to reflect this. please advise

I am 58 BUT have an inherited IRA from which I must take a RMD. Turbo tax doesn't prompt me regarding my qualified charitable distributions and they assign me a full tax obligation. Where can I imput this information to get my tax credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Age 58 with inherited IRA. I made qualified charitable contributions sent directly from Vanguard for most of the RMD. no place in turbo tax to reflect this. please advise

This is not a Qualified Charitable Distribution because you have not reached age 70½.  This distribution is taxable to you and the amount sent to charity is reportable as a deductible charitable contribution on Schedule A in the same manner as if the distribution had been paid to you and you had given the cash to the charity.

dmertz
Level 15

(To be a QCD, the individual for whose benefit the account is maintained must be age 70½ or older at the time of the direct transfer to the charity.)
PSR
Level 1

Your answer is very clear and much appreciated. It applies to my issue perfectly. It seems a bit unfair that the QCD allowance depends on my wife's age even though the RMD results from the age of her mother when she died. I suppose no one has ever said the IRS rules are all fair, but this seems illogical. Thank you for your answer!

Manage cookies