turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlaufer1

I converted a Trad 401k to Roth IRA. Forms show the withdrawal isn't taxed and the conversion is. Turbo shows both are taxable. How do I not get double taxed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

I converted a Trad 401k to Roth IRA. Forms show the withdrawal isn't taxed and the conversion is. Turbo shows both are taxable. How do I not get double taxed?

This happens frequently, there are some complicated choices to be made in this section of TurboTax. Allow me to walk you through them.

Enter the 1099-R information exactly as it appears on the form.  If a box is blank - leave it blank - please do not enter zero.  Be sure you enter the code in box 7 and check the "IRA/SEP/SIMPLE" box only if it is checked on the form.  If box 2a says "Unknown" - leave it BLANK - the taxable amount will be calculated based on your answers to the follow-up questions.

As this was a conversion, answer the question What did you do with the money...? that "(Name) moved the money to another retirement account ...." Next, select the answer, "(Name) converted all of this money to a Roth IRA account."

You will be returned to the 1099-R summary page. Click Continue.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Carl
Level 15

What is the code in box 1 of the 1099-R you received for the "withdrawal" from the traditional 401(k)?
Also, was this a trustee-to-trustee transfer? If it wasn't, then the plan administrator was required by law to withhold taxes from the distribution, and it's up to you to "make up the difference" for this to be a 100% rollover.
MichaelMc

This happens frequently, there are some complicated choices to be made in this section of TurboTax. Allow me to walk you through them.

Enter the 1099-R information exactly as it appears on the form.  If a box is blank - leave it blank - please do not enter zero.  Be sure you enter the code in box 7 and check the "IRA/SEP/SIMPLE" box only if it is checked on the form.  If box 2a says "Unknown" - leave it BLANK - the taxable amount will be calculated based on your answers to the follow-up questions.

As this was a conversion, answer the question What did you do with the money...? that "(Name) moved the money to another retirement account ...." Next, select the answer, "(Name) converted all of this money to a Roth IRA account."

You will be returned to the 1099-R summary page. Click Continue.

jlaufer1

I originally pulled this 1099R document from the vendor into TurboTax through TurboTax. I went through the form again. Even when it said "0.00" on the 1099R, I deleted the autofilled "0.00" and left it blank in TurboTax. This almost immediately adjusted the Federal Tax due back down and showed on a later screen that the amount is no longer taxable.

@jlaufer1 -  What code in box 7?
Is the zero in box 2a?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jlaufer1

Box 2a was "0.00". Code in Box 7 is "G". All of the information and questions were entered/answered correctly into TurboTax. TurboTax was somehow reading the "0.00" entries in a weird way. By removing those "0.00" entries, it corrected the amount of tax due. My problem was solved. Thank you.
MichaelMc

I am pleased that your problem has been solved.

@jlaufer1 - Unfortunately, that does not "solve" the problem, but creates a new one.

A 401(k) distribution 1099-R with a code G and a zero on box 2a, indicates a direct rollover to a *Traditional* IRA, not a Roth IRA.

The IRS receives a copy of the 1099-R form the payer and what you report must match that 1099-R.  The IRS also receives a 5498 for from the receiving IRA custodian and expects to find a Traditional IRA deposit, not a Roth.

If you instructed the 401(k) custodian to roll this to a Roth IRA then box 2a should have had the same amount as box 1.   If that is the case then the 401(k) trustee needs to issue a corrected 1099-R.

If, *you* changed the IRA account type on your own to a Roth, then you need to delete the 1099-R and use a substitute 1099-R (last choice on the 1099-R type screen) with the same information as the original 1099-R except box 2a would be the same amount as box 1 (unless there is a box 5 amount, then box 2a would be box 1 minus box 5).    You would select the interview choice that the distribution was rolled to a Roth IRA.

The substitute will ask for an explanation statement where you state that the 401(k) was actually converted to a Roth IRA rather then being rolled to a Traditional IRA.  Without the substitute 1099-R and the explanation statement you will probably be receiving letters form the IRS in about a year or so when they match the forms.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jlaufer1

@macuser_22 I appreciate you trying to help, but you’re trying to solve a problem where you don’t have the whole picture. Your response may help someone else here, so thanks for contributing!

I rolled this over from one company to another. I then converted with the 2nd company, who then supplied a separate 1099R which I had uploaded and the correct amounts and codes are shown on the form.

There should be no need to change the box 2a amount then.  You said you removed the zero from box 2a.  The 401(k) to 401(k) rollover code G *requires* a zero in box 2a and it is not taxable.   The 401(k) to Roth conversion *require* the taxable amount in box 2a.   

jlaufer1

It might have been a subsiquent question Turbo asked me after I initially deleted the “0.00”s. So I’m sure if it was required and they asked, that is exactly what happened. I then put “0” when asked.

OK good.   As long as the forms were correct, no problem then.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies