turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

caseyrut

TurboTax won't let me efile because my two W-2s 401k amounts are more than the $18,500 max. I handled that through an excess deferral 1099-R form. Do I have to mail file?

When I try to efile, an error comes up "Forms W-2 & W-2G Summary: Elective deferrals - TP $19101, is more than the allowed $18,500 for a 401k plan. Please check your entries on your W2 for 401k plans." The excess contribution was handled and I received a 1099-R form and input that into TurboTax. The employer doesn't change the W2, so I can't just change the numbers to be $18,500.

Does having an excess deferral force you to have to file through the mail? Or is there a way to push through this error and efile? I don't think the form is even one that is filed... it says "keep for your records" like a worksheet.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax won't let me efile because my two W-2s 401k amounts are more than the $18,500 max. I handled that through an excess deferral 1099-R form. Do I have to mail file?

This just came out - -  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4698409-excess-401-k-contribution-preventing-e-file">https://ttlc....>
caseyrut

Thank you for finding this. I am surprised it won’t allow efile. Last year, I also had an excess (changing jobs two years in a row) and was able to efile with the W2s 401k being over the max. I wonder why it would change.

I have the same problem. I can't efile now.
caseyrut

They are shooting to put a fix in for this by April 5th. Go to the link above where TurboTaxDawnC wrote “this just came out”. At the bottom you can sign up to be alerted when the fix is in.

Has anyone seen this fix yet? The update article still says "...need to paper file.

The poor response to this basic issue has me reevaluating my tax software solution for 2020 and beyond...this is literally a 10-minute code update to correct an aware.

This is pathetic for a major company like TurboTax.  Very disappointed.  Waited and kept waiting for the bug fix and now they say you have to paper file?  What about the fees I paid to e-file in two states?  I have to pay those fees before I can even try and e-file and now I can't e-file.  Ridiculous!

Turbotax didn't fix anything - they said a fix was going in April 5, then sent out an update on April 5 saying that we need to file by mail / paper. @TurboTaxDawnC - I know it's not your fault, but I'm disappointed, confused, and upset with how this was handled by TurboTax.

I need a solution for this as soon as possible.

This is very disappointing.  What is the point of using turbo if you can't file electronically.  This is pointless.  Wont use your software again.
vimaljc

Very disappointing indeed. Waited for a fix after paying for e-filing and there's none.
mannies

Very disappointing. Should be a simple fix. Looks like there is no option other than to mail the return.
mannies

I was able tp e-file it last year for the same issue.

Should we be waiting for a fix or just give up and file by mail?  The deadline is approaching.

f*.%!! TT
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies