turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to pay a penalty because I didn't file my taxes on time. I'm working as a teacher in Korea

I'm I in trouble for not filling taxes for 2016 on time? I started work in korea as a teacher around october of 2016 and made less than 6,000 dollars. Or should I just wait to file my 2016 taxes when I file my 2017 taxes.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I have to pay a penalty because I didn't file my taxes on time. I'm working as a teacher in Korea

There is a foreign earned income exclusion of $101,300 for tax year 2016. 

However, you only have a filing requirement for 2016 if your gross income from all sources is at least $10,350 and you are filing as Single and not a dependent on someone else's tax return.  

Review IRS Publication 54 Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad, page 3 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p54.pdf#page=3

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Is the income received in Korea the only income you will be reporting on your 2016 tax return, either foreign or US sources?

Yes. Also, I was away from the united states for more than 330 days in the year of 2016 if that helps.

There is a foreign earned income exclusion of $101,300 for tax year 2016. 

However, you only have a filing requirement for 2016 if your gross income from all sources is at least $10,350 and you are filing as Single and not a dependent on someone else's tax return.  

Review IRS Publication 54 Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad, page 3 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p54.pdf#page=3

DoninGa, thank you for the answer. I read page 3, but want to double check. So since I made less than $10,350 in 2016, and I wasn't self employed, I don't have to file taxes for 2016? In other words, I can skip filing 2016 taxes?

Yes

DoninGa, thank you. You saved a lot of my time for filing 2016 taxes.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies