Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chelsea

I have a schedule k-1 and yet turbotax will not allow me to input my sep ira contribution, how do i do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

I have a schedule k-1 and yet turbotax will not allow me to input my sep ira contribution, how do i do this?

As Lisa995 said, except for the purpose of a self-employed health insurance deduction, you are an employee of the S corp, not self employed.  The S corp must make the employer contribution to your SEP-IRA.  SEP contributions are limited to no more than 25% of compensation and must be the same percentage of each eligible employee's compensation (up to the first $270,000 of each employee's compensation).

SEP contributions are employer contributions, so the S corp gets the deduction on the S corp's tax return.  If the S corp has not made a SEP contribution for 2018, unless the S corp requested a filing extension, the deadline of March 15, 2019 to make the contribution has already passed for a calendar-year S corp.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Does your Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) from a partnership show an amount of net earnings from self-employment with code A in box 14?
chelsea

my schedule K-1 is on form 1120S

Then the S-Corp should be making the SEP deposit, since you should be an employee of the S-Corp and receive a W2....you are not self employed.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
dmertz
Level 15

As Lisa995 said, except for the purpose of a self-employed health insurance deduction, you are an employee of the S corp, not self employed.  The S corp must make the employer contribution to your SEP-IRA.  SEP contributions are limited to no more than 25% of compensation and must be the same percentage of each eligible employee's compensation (up to the first $270,000 of each employee's compensation).

SEP contributions are employer contributions, so the S corp gets the deduction on the S corp's tax return.  If the S corp has not made a SEP contribution for 2018, unless the S corp requested a filing extension, the deadline of March 15, 2019 to make the contribution has already passed for a calendar-year S corp.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies