The worksheet on my social security wages shows only part of them should be taxed. This return shows the entire amount

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AnnetteB

If you are seeing the full amount on a summary screen as you are going through your return that is not necessarily the same thing as what is shown on your actual tax return.  It may just be a summary of income that was received during the year. 

Use the following steps to take a look at your actual Form 1040 to determine what amount of your Social Security is being taxed on your return.  The total amount you received will be on line 20a with the taxable amount on 20b.

In order to preview your Form 1040, take the following steps:

• Click My Account at the top of your screen

• Click Tools

• On the Tools Center page, below “Other helpful links…”, click View Tax Summary

• Click Preview My 1040 shown at the top of your screen

• Use the Back choice at the top of the screen to return to your tax return

AnnetteB

• Click Tools