Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ohiojones

I have a 50,000 401K, lost job took distribution and rolled it into an IRA. Why does the 50,000 show as income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

I have a 50,000 401K, lost job took distribution and rolled it into an IRA. Why does the 50,000 show as income?

The rollover is included in your total income, but it is not considered taxable income. All you have to do is enter form 1099-R (which you should have received) exactly as it appears. If it shows code G in box 7 of the form, the rollover is reported automatically.  Otherwise, once you answer follow-up questions after the basic information is entered, the rollover will be applied. Again, it is included in your tax return, but it is not taxable. 

Please look at your Form 1040 and you will be able to verify the nontaxable treatment.  The rollover from your pension will be shown in Box 16a, Form 1040. If the entire amount is rolled over,  line 16b remains blank and the rollover is not be included in taxable income. (Form 1040A line 12a and b).  

If you have cd/download of TurboTax, just select Forms (upper right corner in Windows, upper left in Mac) and locate form 1040. If you have TurboTax online, use below steps to view form 1040:

1. From My account drop down, select Tools (you must be logged into your tax return and be IN your tax return)
  2. Select View Tax Summary
  3. Select Preview my 1040

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

The rollover is included in your total income, but it is not considered taxable income. All you have to do is enter form 1099-R (which you should have received) exactly as it appears. If it shows code G in box 7 of the form, the rollover is reported automatically.  Otherwise, once you answer follow-up questions after the basic information is entered, the rollover will be applied. Again, it is included in your tax return, but it is not taxable. 

Please look at your Form 1040 and you will be able to verify the nontaxable treatment.  The rollover from your pension will be shown in Box 16a, Form 1040. If the entire amount is rolled over,  line 16b remains blank and the rollover is not be included in taxable income. (Form 1040A line 12a and b).  

If you have cd/download of TurboTax, just select Forms (upper right corner in Windows, upper left in Mac) and locate form 1040. If you have TurboTax online, use below steps to view form 1040:

1. From My account drop down, select Tools (you must be logged into your tax return and be IN your tax return)
  2. Select View Tax Summary
  3. Select Preview my 1040
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies