turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shannon4

The IRS mentions "general sales taxes", are they referring to the State's general tax rate, or the specific amount paid in my area?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The IRS mentions "general sales taxes", are they referring to the State's general tax rate, or the specific amount paid in my area?

Look at the receipts from places where you normally shop in your area.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Anita01

Without knowing exactly where you are seeing this, it's difficult to answer. You get to deduct sales tax paid at the total rate you pay in your locality.

The IRS tables account for sales tax at the state tax level.  When you go through the section in TurboTax to deduct sales tax as an itemized deduction, you will be asked to enter the total sales tax rate for your area, which will include the state rate as well as any city or local sales tax you pay.

If this does not answer your question, please come back and post more info about where you see the term you are referring to.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies