turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jessicahc
Returning Member

Inherited 401k non-spouse. Rolled over to Inherited IRA. I file my form 8606. Distr was auto entered in my Form 8606? Should I include value of inherited on Line 6?

I file 8606 because I have a Basis my own Non-deductible IRA contribution. But in addition to Inherited IRA rollover, I also have a "Rollover IRA" from the same 401k. Do I also include this value on Line 6 of my Form 8606?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Inherited 401k non-spouse. Rolled over to Inherited IRA. I file my form 8606. Distr was auto entered in my Form 8606? Should I include value of inherited on Line 6?

You cannot combine the basis of an inherited IRA with your own basis.  TurboTax does not support a 8606 for an inherited IRA.  You must file a separate 8606 form for the inherited IRA filled out manually and attached to your mailed tax return - it cannot be e-filed.

There are some circumstances when a 8606 must be filed and require attaching a separate  8606.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899503-what-is-form-8606-nondeductible-iras-used-for

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Answer edited
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
jessicahc
Returning Member

The inherited IRA no longer has a basis. I have a basis on my own. Question now is do I consider the inherited IRA in the value  of ALL Traditional IRA on Line 6 of Form 8606? In other words, is my inherited IRA (without Basis) considered Traditional IRA?
dmertz
Level 15

No.  A non-spouse beneficiary must not aggregate inherited IRAs their own IRAs.  On your Form 8606 line 6, include the year-end total of your own IRAs only.  Do not include the value of the inherited IRA.

(The inherited IRA is not your own IRA.  It is still an IRA of the decedent, maintained for your benefit as beneficiary of the decedent.)
jessicahc
Returning Member

Thank you!  The only distribution was from the Inherited IRA and no contributions for me this year,  so I won't even have a Form 8606, correct?

Correct.
jessicahc
Returning Member

Thanks a bunch!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies