Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My father passed in 12/17. He had a living trust. His estate was about $1 million. We got a tax id for the trust. Do I have to file anything on the trust with IRS?

Perhaps just form 56 needs to be filed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My father passed in 12/17. He had a living trust. His estate was about $1 million. We got a tax id for the trust. Do I have to file anything on the trust with IRS?

A trust is for income earned by the estate after the date of death until the assets are distributed to the heirs.

If this income is over $600 a trust return is required to be filed.

I would suggest you discuss this with the Atty handling the Estate.

If you do a trust return you will need a separate Employer Indetifnaction Number (EIN) and also determine which tax year you will be using as year-end (as it many times is not 12/31 as it is for individuals).

You also must use TurboTax Business Software to do 1041.  https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

Sorry for your loss. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

A trust is for income earned by the estate after the date of death until the assets are distributed to the heirs.

If this income is over $600 a trust return is required to be filed.

I would suggest you discuss this with the Atty handling the Estate.

If you do a trust return you will need a separate Employer Indetifnaction Number (EIN) and also determine which tax year you will be using as year-end (as it many times is not 12/31 as it is for individuals).

You also must use TurboTax Business Software to do 1041.  https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

Sorry for your loss. 

The income since passing was only nominal - way under $600.  The trust's assets got distributed as of 12/31/17.  Does this change your answer?  Thanks

It is then below $600 and no 1041 is then required to be filed.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies