Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sola5girl

Determine dependant status of parent living w/me: income? She doesn't file taxes, income too low but gets a pension & ssi. pension count as income even though too low?

her pension isn't qualified;it is a standard pension - it's just so low she doesn't file; however it is over the 4050 listed in tt (7k year) we provide all other support all time. would this be considered income IF she doesn't file taxes at all and isn't required to do so?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KennethB

Determine dependant status of parent living w/me: income? She doesn't file taxes, income too low but gets a pension & ssi. pension count as income even though too low?

The first step you need to determine is if her pension is taxable income.  The IRS provides an interactive tax assistant to assist you in determining the taxation of your parent's pension.  The interactive tax assistant is available at the following link: https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/is-my-pension-or-annuity-payment-taxable

Click "Begin" at the bottom of the page.

If your parent's gross taxable income is greater than $4,050 for the year, then you cannot claim them. Non-taxable income, such as Social Security, does not count toward this amount.

To meet the support requirements necessary to claim your parent as a dependent on your tax return, you must cover more than half of your parent’s support costs – meaning 51% or more of their support costs must be covered by you. These costs include food, housing or lodging expenses, clothing, and medical services and/or equipment costs.

If you want to claim your parent as a dependent on your tax return, you yourself cannot be eligible as a dependent on someone else’s tax return. Again, you cannot be claimed as a dependent or eligible as a dependent (even without being claimed) if you plan to claim your parent as a dependent. 

The IRS has residency requirements that must be met. To meet the resident requirement, the person you are caring for must meet one of the following:

• Be a legal US Citizen
  • Be a US National
  • Be a US Resident Alien
  • Be a Resident of Canada or Mexico

If all requirements are met, then you will receive an additional $4,050 tax exemption on your tax return.  You will also be able to include your parent's medical expenses when calculating your medical deductions on Schedule A, and you may be eligible to claim the Dependent Care Credit if your parent needs assistance while you work or are away.

TurboTax will ask you the necessary questions and based upon your responses ensure that you receive tax deductions and credits based on your answers.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

How much is the pension?
sola5girl

7,700.00 per year

You cannot claim her, as her income is too high.

Thank you all so much for helping me.  I was just really hoping 🙂 Back to doing the right thing..just because it's the right thing and not for any tax benefit. (Big Sigh) Again, thank you all so much!!!!
KennethB

The first step you need to determine is if her pension is taxable income.  The IRS provides an interactive tax assistant to assist you in determining the taxation of your parent's pension.  The interactive tax assistant is available at the following link: https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/is-my-pension-or-annuity-payment-taxable

Click "Begin" at the bottom of the page.

If your parent's gross taxable income is greater than $4,050 for the year, then you cannot claim them. Non-taxable income, such as Social Security, does not count toward this amount.

To meet the support requirements necessary to claim your parent as a dependent on your tax return, you must cover more than half of your parent’s support costs – meaning 51% or more of their support costs must be covered by you. These costs include food, housing or lodging expenses, clothing, and medical services and/or equipment costs.

If you want to claim your parent as a dependent on your tax return, you yourself cannot be eligible as a dependent on someone else’s tax return. Again, you cannot be claimed as a dependent or eligible as a dependent (even without being claimed) if you plan to claim your parent as a dependent. 

The IRS has residency requirements that must be met. To meet the resident requirement, the person you are caring for must meet one of the following:

• Be a legal US Citizen
  • Be a US National
  • Be a US Resident Alien
  • Be a Resident of Canada or Mexico

If all requirements are met, then you will receive an additional $4,050 tax exemption on your tax return.  You will also be able to include your parent's medical expenses when calculating your medical deductions on Schedule A, and you may be eligible to claim the Dependent Care Credit if your parent needs assistance while you work or are away.

TurboTax will ask you the necessary questions and based upon your responses ensure that you receive tax deductions and credits based on your answers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies