turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

calisun13

I received a 1099-R for a 401K rollove, rolled the money over directly to a Roth IRA. However, the 1099-R shows the money as untaxable. How do I pay taxes on this?

According to the firm that had my 401K the 1099-R they sent me is correct.  They did not mark the amount as taxable.  Code G is listed in box 7.  I know I transferred the money from a traditional 401K to a Roth IRA.  However this isn't getting taxed when I enter in turbotax.  Help would be appreciated!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a 1099-R for a 401K rollove, rolled the money over directly to a Roth IRA. However, the 1099-R shows the money as untaxable. How do I pay taxes on this?

The custodian is in error and should issue a corrected 1099-R, but since they will not then you need to submit a substitute 1099-R (4852 form) to correctly report this.  (see screenshot)

Enter the 1099-R exactly as it is but make box 2a the same as box 1.

When the interview asks if it was rolled to a 401(k) Roth say no.

When it asks if it was rolled/converted to a Roth IRA say yes.

Enter an explanation statement as to why you are submitting a substitute 1099-R.

Then an explanation statement that the custodian refused to issue a corrected 1099-R when they knew this was a Roth conversion.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

What is in box 2a?
What is in box 5?
Did you specify to the plan custodian that this was a Roth conversion?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
calisun13

2a is zero.  Box 5 is zero.  They knew it was being rolled over to a Roth IRA.  I spoke to them when I received the 1099-R and they said from their perspective 2A should show zero and that I would have to claim it as a taxable event elsewhere, if I rolled it over to a Roth IRA.

The custodian is in error and should issue a corrected 1099-R, but since they will not then you need to submit a substitute 1099-R (4852 form) to correctly report this.  (see screenshot)

Enter the 1099-R exactly as it is but make box 2a the same as box 1.

When the interview asks if it was rolled to a 401(k) Roth say no.

When it asks if it was rolled/converted to a Roth IRA say yes.

Enter an explanation statement as to why you are submitting a substitute 1099-R.

Then an explanation statement that the custodian refused to issue a corrected 1099-R when they knew this was a Roth conversion.

calisun13

Thank you!  This is really helpful.  I figured the 1099-R had to be incorrect but they kept telling me it was correct.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies