turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I get Turbotax to recognize that I withdrew early from my 401k? It's saying that I didn't, but I withdrew the whole thing in mid-December.

I'm not over 59.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I get Turbotax to recognize that I withdrew early from my 401k? It's saying that I didn't, but I withdrew the whole thing in mid-December.

The 1099-R is entered here only: Federal taxes; Wages and Income; Retirement

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Did you enter the Form 1099-R in the Retirement Income section of the program and did your Form 1099-R have a code in box 7 of 1?

Is your DOB correct in the program?
Carl
Level 15

It all goes by the code in box 7 of the 1099-R. I would expect it to be a "1" for you. But if you haven't received the 1099-R yet, you really need to wait for it. Nowadays, you should be able to log into your retirement account and get it that way.

My DOB is correct. And I went to the section that said “additional tax payments - extra tax on early retirement withdrawals”. Immediately it says that I have no early retirement withdrawals and won’t let me enter anything.

Is there somewhere else I should be entering information from the 1099-R?

And thank you everyone for your quick responses!

The 1099-R is entered here only: Federal taxes; Wages and Income; Retirement

I’ll have to try that then. Thank you very much!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies