turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

micwel64

On my Federal return, I was at +$70 return when I had entered all of my income except Social Security. As soon as I did that, my return zoomed to a minus $3000.

I don't understand how this happened. My SS income was only $26000 for 2016.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On my Federal return, I was at +$70 return when I had entered all of my income except Social Security. As soon as I did that, my return zoomed to a minus $3000.

That is not unusual.  There are many reasons that could result in such a situation; and since this is a public forum you do not want to post your personal information.

Each W-2, 1099, etc is initially processed as if it were the only income you had; thus until you enter ALL W-2s, 1099s, etc your input data is incomplete and hence incorrect.

Make sure you entered the information CORRECTLY and did not mis-type any numbers

The 'monitor' is only a guide (marketing hype).  It is generally meaningless until you have entered ALL of your information since the calculations are inter-related.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

That is not unusual.  There are many reasons that could result in such a situation; and since this is a public forum you do not want to post your personal information.

Each W-2, 1099, etc is initially processed as if it were the only income you had; thus until you enter ALL W-2s, 1099s, etc your input data is incomplete and hence incorrect.

Make sure you entered the information CORRECTLY and did not mis-type any numbers

The 'monitor' is only a guide (marketing hype).  It is generally meaningless until you have entered ALL of your information since the calculations are inter-related.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies