turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lbry

How do I enter social security benefits on SSA-1099 for a dependent (parent) - the TurboTax form only lists myself or my spouse for data entry?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

How do I enter social security benefits on SSA-1099 for a dependent (parent) - the TurboTax form only lists myself or my spouse for data entry?

You do not enter a dependent's income on your own tax return.  If your parent only has income from Social Security then it does not have to be filed on a tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
lbry

Thanks - years past we've had it listed in our return - so as I understand it doesn't need to be filed at all?

No, if your parent's only income is SS, then they do not need to file a return.  And it should never have been entered on your return.  That made it look like your income was higher than it really was, and may have caused you to pay too much tax.  You can amend as far back as 2015--but amend 2015 by April 15, 2019 or it will be too late.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies