Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TaxPhobic

Our taxes are usually filed under my spouse's social security number. If I am filling in TurboTax Online, how do I put it under my husband's social security number?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Our taxes are usually filed under my spouse's social security number. If I am filling in TurboTax Online, how do I put it under my husband's social security number?

Do NOT change the order of the names on a return from year to year ... this only confuses the IRS and can cause audits.  So if you are still filing jointly do NOT switch positions. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Do NOT change the order of the names on a return from year to year ... this only confuses the IRS and can cause audits.  So if you are still filing jointly do NOT switch positions. 

Are you logging into the same account as last year?  Did the Personal Info transfer over?  Or are you starting a new online account?  Are you filing a Joint return?  Just list him first when you fill out the return.  On a Joint return when Turbo Tax says "you" it usually means either of you.
TaxPhobic

Thanks!  I switched my spouse's number to the primary position really easily.  Thanks for the heads up on the audit risks!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies