turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ronlhurley
Returning Member

My wife is a care taker for her disable mother and is not an dependent b/c of income limitations. Can we claim medical deductions pro-rated share of meals and housing?

Pro-rated share would be actual cost of her meals and the square footage of the home that is used for her care.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

My wife is a care taker for her disable mother and is not an dependent b/c of income limitations. Can we claim medical deductions pro-rated share of meals and housing?

If your wife provides more than 1/2 of Mom's support then medical expenses she pays for Mom are deductible by her.  Pro-rata meals and housing are not deductible even if Mom were to be a dependent.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

If your wife provides more than 1/2 of Mom's support then medical expenses she pays for Mom are deductible by her.  Pro-rata meals and housing are not deductible even if Mom were to be a dependent.

ronlhurley
Returning Member

Thanks for you prompt response. Is the provide more than 1/2 the support test a requirement for non-dependents? We would like to claim a medical deduction for the customization portion of the purchase of a mobility van.
ronlhurley
Returning Member

Thanks for you prompt response. Is the provide more than 1/2 the support test a requirement for non-dependents? We would like to claim a medical deduction for the customization portion of the purchase of a mobility van.
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Is the provide more than 1/2 the support test a requirement for non-dependents?

Yes, it is.  She could be a "medical dependent" if she is your dependent except for her income.  That means you still have to provide more than 1/2 of her support.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies