turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 401K 100% distribution ($65K) when I left my employer and opened and IRA. Now TT is telling I have a penalty for excess IRA contribution. How can I avoid it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a 401K 100% distribution ($65K) when I left my employer and opened and IRA. Now TT is telling I have a penalty for excess IRA contribution. How can I avoid it?

Sounds like you entered it as an IRA "Contribution" on the Deductions&Credits page.  It was not a "contribution".   Go back to that section and take those $$ out.  

You enter the details about it being rolled into an IRA during the follow-up questions when you enter the 1099-R on the Wages&Income page.  You don't enter that rollover anywhere else but when you put in the 1099-R.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Sounds like you entered it as an IRA "Contribution" on the Deductions&Credits page.  It was not a "contribution".   Go back to that section and take those $$ out.  

You enter the details about it being rolled into an IRA during the follow-up questions when you enter the 1099-R on the Wages&Income page.  You don't enter that rollover anywhere else but when you put in the 1099-R.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

When done, make sure the $$ don't show up on line 4b of your form 1040.  The only $$ that show up on line 4b would be any amount from the distribution that you did not roll into the IRA if you didn't put it all in there  (if taxes were withheld on the distribution...you needed to make those up, otherwise those $$ are taxed (and penalized ….depending on your age)

Thank you!
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies