turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My mom passed away in Feb, before receiving her quarterly IRA RMD distribution. I cashed out my portion. Can I claim part of distribution as RMD. How do I calculate that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

My mom passed away in Feb, before receiving her quarterly IRA RMD distribution. I cashed out my portion. Can I claim part of distribution as RMD. How do I calculate that?

Yes, the distribution paid to you as beneficiary applies toward satisfying your mother's RMD for the year of death.  Where TurboTax asks how much was RMD, simply say all of it was RMD.  TurboTax asks this question to determine how much might be left over to roll over to another retirement account, but a non-spouse beneficiary isn't permitted to roll any over.

In the questions that follow clicking the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page, if the distribution you received was greater than or equal to the amount of your mother's annual RMD that remained unsatisfied at her death, indicate that all of her RMD was completed.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Yes, the distribution paid to you as beneficiary applies toward satisfying your mother's RMD for the year of death.  Where TurboTax asks how much was RMD, simply say all of it was RMD.  TurboTax asks this question to determine how much might be left over to roll over to another retirement account, but a non-spouse beneficiary isn't permitted to roll any over.

In the questions that follow clicking the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page, if the distribution you received was greater than or equal to the amount of your mother's annual RMD that remained unsatisfied at her death, indicate that all of her RMD was completed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your help. Not being a tax expert, and having never dealt with this issue before, your help was needed and greatly appreciated! Thanks again.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies