Turbotax requires a taxpayer Identification number from my W-2. I am retired and was not employed during 2019 and have not and will not receive a W-2. However I will have other income. How can I use Turbotax without a taxpayer identification number in the required format, How can I file electronically?
Your taxpayer identification number is your social security number.
If you have no W-2 form, then you do not go to the W-2 section of TurboTax.
You only enter the income that you have in 2019.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Of course, but Turbotax wants the taxpayer ID format from the W-2 which is different form the SS number. Will it accept the SS number?
If you did not receive a W-2 for 2019 then do not try and enter anything in the W-2 section of the program. You should have selected I did not receive a W-2
If you received a Form 1099-R -
To enter, edit or delete a form 1099-R -
- Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
- Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
- Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
- Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
- On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click the start or update button
Or enter 1099-r in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1099-R