turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

esevieux

If my wife and I both withdrew from 401k to purchase a house can we claim 10k each without early withdrawal penalty or is it 10k max per couple? If so how can we do so?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If my wife and I both withdrew from 401k to purchase a house can we claim 10k each without early withdrawal penalty or is it 10k max per couple? If so how can we do so?

Taking money from your 401k to purchase a house is not an exception to the 10% early withdrawal penalty. That is only with a traditional IRA. You will face the early withdrawal penalty and ordinary income tax on the amount you took out of a 401k. You will each receive a 1099R for the distributions, which must be entered on your tax return. 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Taking money from your 401k to purchase a house is not an exception to the 10% early withdrawal penalty. That is only with a traditional IRA. You will face the early withdrawal penalty and ordinary income tax on the amount you took out of a 401k. You will each receive a 1099R for the distributions, which must be entered on your tax return. 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies