turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

u86509

SSA-1099...I pay UHC $30. a month for a prescription drug plan. Can I list it as a tax credit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

SSA-1099...I pay UHC $30. a month for a prescription drug plan. Can I list it as a tax credit?

Yes (as a deduction, not a credit). 

If your prescription plan from UHC is a Medicare D plan with premiums deducted from your Social Security benefit, enter the amount on the entry screen for your SSA-1099.

If it is a separate prescription plan where you pay the premiums directly to UHC, enter the amount as a medical expense. 

To enter your medical expenses, please follow these steps:

1. Go to the Deductions & Credits screen.
  2. In the Medical section, click on the Start/Revisit box next to Medical Expenses.  
  3. If you haven't yet entered any medical expenses, TurboTax will ask you if your total medical expenses exceed a certain number.
  4. If you think your total medical expenses will exceed that number, click the blue Yes box and continue through the interview to the screen, Tell us about any prescription medication expenses.  Enter the total premiums paid and click Continue.

[Edited | 3/9/2020 2:16pm PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Yes (as a deduction, not a credit). 

If your prescription plan from UHC is a Medicare D plan with premiums deducted from your Social Security benefit, enter the amount on the entry screen for your SSA-1099.

If it is a separate prescription plan where you pay the premiums directly to UHC, enter the amount as a medical expense. 

To enter your medical expenses, please follow these steps:

1. Go to the Deductions & Credits screen.
  2. In the Medical section, click on the Start/Revisit box next to Medical Expenses.  
  3. If you haven't yet entered any medical expenses, TurboTax will ask you if your total medical expenses exceed a certain number.
  4. If you think your total medical expenses will exceed that number, click the blue Yes box and continue through the interview to the screen, Tell us about any prescription medication expenses.  Enter the total premiums paid and click Continue.

[Edited | 3/9/2020 2:16pm PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies