turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Spouse and I signed a sep agreement on 7/27/16. she gets 761.34 of my mil pension. Is that considered alimony that I can deduct or is that income she has too claim.

My spouse and i are not divorced yet but we both signed a separation agreement on 7/27/16.  I was wondering if we have to file separate?  I give her $1000 alimony and $761.34 from my mil pension.  Is the $761.34 considered alimony because the divorce not final or income.  I get the whole pension then give her what we agreed upon.  Divorce will be filed 1/2017 in Virginia.  Thanks for the assistance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

Spouse and I signed a sep agreement on 7/27/16. she gets 761.34 of my mil pension. Is that considered alimony that I can deduct or is that income she has too claim.

How she reports it depends on how it's paid.

• If she gets a separate Form 1099-R for her share of the pension she would report it as pension income.
  • If not, she would report it as alimony.

I was wondering if we have to file separate?

If you are still legally married on the last day of the year, though separated, you can still file a joint return.  If you did, it would report the entire pension income with no deduction for alimony paid by you.  The $1,000 alimony also would not be reported as income on a joint return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

How she reports it depends on how it's paid.

• If she gets a separate Form 1099-R for her share of the pension she would report it as pension income.
  • If not, she would report it as alimony.

I was wondering if we have to file separate?

If you are still legally married on the last day of the year, though separated, you can still file a joint return.  If you did, it would report the entire pension income with no deduction for alimony paid by you.  The $1,000 alimony also would not be reported as income on a joint return.

Once the divorce is final you should alert DFAS so that her portion is sent directly to her and she will be issued a 1099-R form for her taxes.

That's the plan my lawyer is going to file the divorce for me on Jan. 2, 2017 so I wouldn't have to deal with this next year.  Thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies