Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

happycows

1099-g for state refund enters on line 8 - should enter on line 2. This is not for a business or farm and my form only has boxes 2-4. It won't let me enter it on line 2.

How do I fix this?  It won't let me submit the way it is but I don't have a business or farm, and since I don't have either of those there is no name to enter.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

1099-g for state refund enters on line 8 - should enter on line 2. This is not for a business or farm and my form only has boxes 2-4. It won't let me enter it on line 2.

Sounds like you are in the wrong spot.  Get out of there and it goes here

Enter the 1099G under
 Federal Taxes Tab or Personal for Home & Business
Wages & Income
Choose Explore on my own (if it comes up)
Then scroll down to Other Common Income

Then it's the line - STATE AND LOCAL TAX REFUNDS - Click the Start or Update button on the right.
(You do not want the next line that says Other 1099-G Income. And not the top line that says Visit All).

On the first screen check YES - Received a State Refund.

Enter the amount and continue on and after a couple screens, it will ask you a couple questions to determine if it's taxable.  It may or may not be taxable.  It is taxable if you itemized deductions last year.  If you took the standard deduction it is not taxable.

It may or may not be taxable.  It is taxable if you itemized deductions last year.  If you took the standard deduction it is not taxable.  If you Itemized and took the state income tax deduction instead of the sales tax deduction on sch A line 5 you got a deduction for it.  So now the refund can be taxable.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Sounds like you are in the wrong spot.  Get out of there and it goes here

Enter the 1099G under
 Federal Taxes Tab or Personal for Home & Business
Wages & Income
Choose Explore on my own (if it comes up)
Then scroll down to Other Common Income

Then it's the line - STATE AND LOCAL TAX REFUNDS - Click the Start or Update button on the right.
(You do not want the next line that says Other 1099-G Income. And not the top line that says Visit All).

On the first screen check YES - Received a State Refund.

Enter the amount and continue on and after a couple screens, it will ask you a couple questions to determine if it's taxable.  It may or may not be taxable.  It is taxable if you itemized deductions last year.  If you took the standard deduction it is not taxable.

It may or may not be taxable.  It is taxable if you itemized deductions last year.  If you took the standard deduction it is not taxable.  If you Itemized and took the state income tax deduction instead of the sales tax deduction on sch A line 5 you got a deduction for it.  So now the refund can be taxable.
happycows

Thanks.  For some reason the "smart check"  had me enter the info in the wrong spot.  I went back in as you indicated and found that it got entered twice for some reason, so deleted the second one and went back through the first one and it had me entering itemized information.  That solved the issue in smart check.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies