turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tbinger22

I am 35 and withdrew 100% of my state pension for the 1st time purchase of a house. Are there any tax breaks for using the pension to buy a house?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am 35 and withdrew 100% of my state pension for the 1st time purchase of a house. Are there any tax breaks for using the pension to buy a house?

Sorry no.  It is taxed as regular income and may push you into a higher tax bracket and if you are under 59 1/2 there is a 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Sorry no.  It is taxed as regular income and may push you into a higher tax bracket and if you are under 59 1/2 there is a 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty.

An IRA is the only type of plan that has an exception to the penalty.  And you always owe regular income tax.

Was it from a pension?  They let you take it out?
Or was it from a 401K?  Not that it matters.  Hope it wasn't a lot.
tbinger22

It was a state retirement pension.  I was able to take it out because I do not work in that state anymore.  I took out way too much!
tbinger22

Thank you for the answers.

"I took out way too much!"  If it's been less than 60 days, you can still roll some over to an IRA.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies